Gideon Jasinsky – 1864-1934

Gideon is Grandpa Z’s Maternal Grandfather


The following biographical sketch was prepared by Gideon’s son Guy Grabiel Jasinsky (1894-1949):

 Gideon Calvin Jasinsky

 Gideon Calvin Jasinsky, the youngest child of William Jasinsky and Esther (Arbegast) Jasinsky, was born on the Jasinsky farm, in Rushcreek township, Logan county, Ohio, January 19, 1864.

 In his youth he attended the Johnson district school a short distance north of his farm home, and worked on his father’s farm. In adulthood he often laughingly remarked that his steadiest job was the preparing of “sparking” wood, as he had five older sisters whose suitors were warmed by stove wood gotten by his labor.

 At the age of 17 years he lost his mother by death, and for a short time he made his home with a sister, Josephine (Jasinsky) Lawson.

 In young manhood Gideon Calvin Jasinsky learned the blacksmith trade, and he became a master smith.

 On May 16, 1887, he united in marriage with Effie Josephine (Grabiel) Kautzman. To this union were born nine children:

 Hazel, born Aug 1887, died in infancy.

 Dorca Lloyd, born 30 Dec 1889, married Emily Daniels. No issue. By Rev. JO A  Roukin. Twin sons died in infancy.

Guy Grabiel, born June 29, 1894, married Eugenia Falloux, Child: Alan Lloyd Jasinsky.

Muriel Esther, born April 14, 1897. Married Edgar Zoz, Children: Garnet Zoz, Betty Zoz, Ronald Zoz.

Frederick Sylvester, born March 25, 1900, not married.

William Gail, born June 9, 1903, not married

Gideon Calvin Jasinsky, before his marriage, worked at the blacksmith trade in West Liberty, Zanesfield, and Bellefontaine, Ohio. In the late 1880’s he became a blacksmith and maintenance man for the Buckeye Portland Cement company at Marl City, three miles south of Rushsylvania, and he remained with this organization almost constantly until 1907.  The family home was maintained in Rushsylvania, Ohio, his entire married life except for six months in the year 1900, when the family lived at Marl City.

For several terms Gideon Calvin Jasinsky was marshal of Rushsylvania, and it was during his incumbency as marshal that a deplorable action on the part of the citizenry of Rushsylvania and surrounding territory occurred – that of the lynching of a man by a mob which overpowered “Gid” and another peace officer.  It was the contention of Gideon Jasinsky that man was innocent of the crime for which he was hanged. This lynching occurred in the spring of 1894.

In 1907 Gideon Jasinsky established his own blacksmith business in Rushsylvania, which he operated continuously until 1923, when ill health necessitated a change. The following year he spent in Waukegan, Illinois, at the home of his son, Lloyd, and was employed as a watchman at the new power plant of the Public Service Company of Northern Illinois, of which his son Lloyd was superintendent.

In the fall of 1924 he returned to Rushsylvania, where he reopened his shop, but ill health again caused him to close it in 1926.

Gideon Jasinsky died November 21, 1934, after an extended illness. He was buried in the new addition of the Rushsylvania cemetery, where the grave is marked by a stone.

Gideon Jasinsky, in the prime of life, was recognized as being the strongest man physically in the locality in which he lived, and was noted for his remarkable memory.